Sunday, June 7, 2015

A typical day in the life of a pookie living in China.


  • I spent this first weird week where my body would naturally wake itself up at like 5:30 am.  I'm blaming jet lag-or maybe I should be thanking it? It's kind of nice to not need an alarm.  Anyway, that phase is over. Apparently I'm all adjusted and back to almost sleeping through my alarm.  Now a days I wake up around 7 am and catch the 7:45 am bus to school.  The buses here are just as crowded as you may imagine a China bus to be. (That is if you are imagining a can of sardines but with people inside a bus.) Also my breakfast ranges from American cereal which I occasionally have to eat with chopsticks because all of the silverware is dirty to random Chinese fruits. It's the best of both worlds.


  • The school day is fun. Picture kids in yellow uniforms everywhere, 2 hour lunch breaks where most of the Easter teachers take naps, and school cafeteria food which ranges from delicious steamed buns to pig snouts.
  • Twice a week after school I go play soccer or volleyball in an attempt to not feel lazy and to bond with my fellow teachers.  So far I have not quite managed to not end up on the floor during a game (regardless of the sport.) However,that is the end goal. 
  • Sometimes it's fun to walk home because (if you can survive crazy Chinese traffic. Just kidding Mom! [but really])  the view is beautiful.  The sky is either bright blue or pouring buckets of rain on you. Both of which are fine by me.  The foliage is a nice shade of green that I'm not sure Utah ever really manages to achieve and is only in Arkansas during the bright points of summer.  The route home takes me by a serene lake/pond (?) which has random gazebos out in the middle on islands.  Very picturesque and inaccessible. (Trust me, I've tried.)  You will also pass a plethora of people outside doing a smorgasbord of random activities such as choreographed dancing, kids running wild ("playing"), some random man doing a trick that can only be an obscure hobby or practice for joining the circus, and people doing tai chi-just to name a few.
  • Once home the first order of business is either a shower (because the green foliage isn't the only thing China has in common with Arkansas summers) or a trip to the convenience store.  The new game I like to play is 'What Can I buy at the corner store for 7 RMB?' (Note: that is about $1.)  If I'm feeling really irresponsible I'll splurge and spend 9 RMB for a piece of chocolate cake and a bottle of milk.   [If I don't make it back to America it will be because I've decided I i cannot go without flavored milk and easily accessible milk in a glass bottle.] Can you imagine a piece of cake and some milk for the equivalent of $1.50?!  I've hit the Chinese jackpot.

  • The night generally ends with me trying to convince myself to be productive and lesson plan for the next day or caving into the natural desires of a bibliophile and reading a book while ignoring all responsibilities.  On a good night I compromise with myself and alternate productivity with a chapter of reading.  Don't worry though-the reading is definitely not hindering my ability to experience China. I still go out and see the sights, explore the city, and eat the cheap, sketchy food. 
  • Hit REPEAT.
Now everyone is as informed as they could possibly want to be about my daily life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment