Thursday, May 1, 2014

Can You Be Jealous of Your Own Life?

       Well, I've officially be in Japan for a full week now (since I landed in Tokyo around 3 pm.) Of course, I didn't get to my house in Sapporo until about 9 that night, and even then the adventures didn't start until Saturday, but still. It's a big day for me.
   So let's see. What have I done since coming to the dream land.  Hm. Nothing much.
Joke. If you believed that then that's the real joke. Every day's been an adventure.
   Monday was my first day teaching the LTL class and I was all alone because my partner hadn't yet arrived in Japan. So it was just me and 4 boys hanging out-and by hanging out I obviously mean learning English. We ended up playing frisbee (obviously I have no idea how that happened...but there was still English involved!) That morning I had some time to myself at home so I hung out and tried to be productive. But really, who can be productive when there's Japan to be in? (I haven't done a single hour of work since coming-woo!/fail.)
    Tuesday- This is Golden Week in Japan so today everyone had school and work off. So we went Japanese thrift shopping. Hooray-that's a thing!  After that we went to go look for a present for my host dad's mom and we got lunch at McDonalds. (I'm not sure if they eat there normally or if they just went there because I was there. Either way. First McDonalds in Japan-check.) For some reason the water cups only come with that much water. They hate hydration. Or maybe just Americans/me.  Anyway, today at class we had 6 students and both teachers-success! I don't know if all 6 students will keep coming bu it's fun. It's pretty entertaining because it was me and 7 guys in the classroom. I sure know how to fix the odds in my favor here in Japan. I'll work on that in America.    That night after class I went to a restaurant with my family for the birthday dinner and there was about 11 of us there. During dinner, I noticed Remon chan (my 10 year old sister) kept looking over at the next table and giggling. There was this table of boys (in their late teens) over there and they were totally flirting! The boys would look at her and wave and  she would giggle and look away.  Why is my 10 year old sister already better with boys than me? Something else to work on.

     (Wed) So I mentioned to my family that I have a list of things to experience while in Japan so they've taken it upon themselves to help me fulfill it all.  So on Tuesday they took me to a famous ramen place in Sapporo. Here's my bowl. It was delicious. The shop was called Menya Saimi-so good! Here's a picture my dad took of me and my ramen. The bowls are so large and full of deliciousness! Don't even try to not be jealous. Just accept it and keep reading. They even took me to a sakura park to see the cherry blossoms (also on my list.)  We'll go back again later when more trees are in bloom, but look forward to these kind of pictures!

Thur-Today I had a nice relaxing morning and used the opportunity to finally catch up in my journal. It's good to know that I'm doing so much that I'm always behind in my journal, but, at the same time, I hate being behind in my journal! Anyway, I didn't do much this morning (except for my first hour of work-nice work, Laura) but this afternoon my parents and I made takoyaki together. (Tako=octopus) This is the tako. I know-it looks weird. And it is weird. But also, delicious. (At least inside the takoyaki it is.) This is us making it in their takoyaki machine. We put a bunch of stuff in it. Then you let it cook and you make little balls out of it.  Finally, these delicious little things are cooked and ready to eat. We put some sauce on it and ate a ton. (Ahhhhh so good.)







Then I had to hurry to church for my lesson. Don't worry-so used to taking the street car, the subway, and walking to church by myself now. Everyone stares at me and my out-of-placeness and the fact that I'm alone.This is what I see on my walk to church.

 Turns out, I'm kind of allergic to Japan (like every foreign country I go to.) So I've started wearing this mask in my room so I don't sneeze every few minutes. It's cool though-now I look just like everyone else. (Not my family really, but so many people wear these masks here. So strange.)

(Friday) Finally, it's Friday! Today I had the morning to myself so I worked and caught up in my journal. This afternoon I went to my sister, Remon chan's (10), elementary school with my parents to watch an assembly.  This was probably the second time in my life where an auditorium full of people stared at me (with the first being that time I wiped out in American Heritage.) Still not sure which is weirder. Oh well-so fantastic. That's my sister there with the white sweater, skirt, and leggings on the right there. She's adorable.

All in all, this past week in Japan has been fantastic and I can already tell my comprehension has increased a ton. So I have high hopes for the next 11 weeks. I couldn't have asked for a more welcoming family and everything about this country just makes me love it more. I think my brother summed it up pretty well when he sent me this picture which represents me in Japan. So...until next time! Gotta go teach class.

2 comments: