Wednesday, June 6, 2012

A rainstorms the best time to climb into waterfalls because you're wet either way.

Thought I would start this off with an awesome picture of Nice because this is my life as of now and for the next week :)  Let's see...Monday.... I spent the night downstairs in my friends room and woke up barely before class. So I went to class looking like a bum, which was great! I totally couldn't do that when I lived in Vesinet because it took me 40 minutes (at least) just to get into town/class. Hooray for living in a hotel (thing) :D  After class some friends and I walked along the Promenade d'Anglais, which is about a 4 mile stretch of sea on one side and the city on the other. It was beautiful, and as we got closer and closer to Old Nice and the ruins of the castle there, the sky started getting darker.  The view was incredible from our vantage point at the top (as you can see)  But really, it was so cool.  Here's another one to prove my point. 
Sadly, my friend is the one who took all the pictures once the storm hit, so this is the last one I have for today, but the adventures definitely didn't end with the sunshine.  When we got to the top of the castle/ruins, the rain started coming down harder so some of the girls decided to take cover. But my friend Rachel and I decided to continue because nothing is better than a walk in the rain, right? :)  We climbed to the top and enjoyed the thunder, rain, and the view (don't worry Mom, it wasn't lightening)    After that we ended up discovering a waterfall (but not a super large one) and so rachel and I decided it would be a good idea to climb under it. As it turns out, it wasn't such a great idea, but it was very fun.  However, as the rain came down harder and harder and we were about a 30 minute walk from home, the fact that we were soaked didnt' really matter. After about 10 minutes you couldn't even tell that I had taken my shoes off for the waterfall because they were soaked from the downpour. Overall, quite the adventure I'd say.  The walk home was slightly cold, but mostly super cool because we got to watch the ocean, which was abandoned at this point, in the downpour.  Also while walking a car drove by and splashed us with a huge wave/puddle which was sort of gross because the water smelled bad, but was also kind of fun because it was like a movie.  Anyway, by the time we got home I was thoroughly soaked so I took a warm shower (my second of the day) and Heather and I got some hot chocolate (there's another one of those miracle hot chocolate vending machines in the lobby!) and started watching a movie in bed. It felt so good :) Except by that time the storm had passed and it was sunny again so it looked like we were just bumming in bed.  Anyway, it was fun.  At 7 we had FHE with our group, which was really just a spiritual thought and then a birthday party for one of the guys.  It was fun because I had an eating contest with my friend Bethan. Neither of us were exactly sure what the rules were, so we just sort of kneeled across the ping-pong table outside and started at each other while eating.  The best part was that people from the inside couldn't see me, so it looked like she was eating by herself outside (and occasionally talking and laughing alone too) :D  After that we had a dance party in my room, and for some reason all my friends seemed surprised that I knew almost every word to Fergalicious.  That night my friends and I decided to go for a night swim in the ocean and it was the most magical thing ever. Mostly because we got to watch the moon rise over the water while playing in the waves and convincing each other that we didn't have to worry about sharks. (I decided that sharks probably think that white girls who can't dance aren't appetizing enough to eat, because I've been safe so far!) sadly, I forgot to bring my camera (honestly I just wasn't expecting to need it) but the ocean looked so beautiful that I wish I had a picture of it. Sad day. Seriously, there was a line of moonlight reflecting off the water and it was a full moon and just so beautiful. Hopefully I'll get a picture another night.  Anyway, after that we all bought hot chocolate and ate it in this pretty white terrace place (2nd cup of hot chocolate :)  then I took a shower (3rd times the charm) and then bed time!


Tuesday...today was one of those chill at the beach kind of days.  My friends and I probably sat next to this gorgeous water 'studying' and swimming for about 3 hours and it was so much fun.  At one point it was just Rachel and I (The girl in the photo) playing in the waves, and they were all playful and all of the sudden this huge mammoth wave comes and attacks us when our backs were turned.  I glanced over my shoulder to talk to Rachel and see this wave that was taller than me coming for us. It was super funny and it flipped us all over the water.  I was laughing so hard I'm pretty sure I got my salt intake for the week taken care of.  But seriously, it was so much fun.  
Around 4 we decided we should actually do something somewhat productive, and by that I mean something for class, but by that I mean just walk around Old Nice. So we did that for a few hours too. Nothing too exciting happened there except I found a crepe stand with speculoos (crepes are not nearly as common here as Paris) Hm. the most exciting thing I did after returning home was finally finishing The Secret World of Arrietty with Heather. It was so good :)  Oh and this is a random picture of me because I was impressed with how the salt water made my hair somewhat wavey. Seriuosly, why does it never look like this after going to the lake? 


Today. Really not a lot of excitement to share (Nice is pretty chill actually)  I went to class, went grocery shopping (I eat at least 2 mangoes a day here!), hard core cleaned our apartment, went to this Russian church (which was closed so this was actually all I saw) and now I'm trying to be productive.  You can see how that's working out. (well technically since I'm supposed to blog about the places I visit I guess you could loosely consider this homework....)  :)  But I am caught up in my journal, and now my blog. All that's really left is to actually study for my final.  Sadly, that doesn't sound nearly as fun as watching a movie and swimming in the ocean again. or even as fun as eating dinner. If only I really was on vacation-abroad instead of a study-abroad.  Well the bright side is, after Friday, I will be! :)



It's crazy to think that my program ends on Saturday morning and that people are going home. I'm glad that I'm staying in Nice for another couple of days. that means I can literally bum on the beach all day (I even bought sunblock) and not feel bad about not studying or doing homework. How great will that be? And then potentially I could be in Ireland and London for a week after that. So many adventures before I return home to join my family.  Also, I'm slightly jealous that David is home now and will get to hold Daniel.  But also, this could potentially be the first time I'm abroad and he's not.  :) hehehe

No comments:

Post a Comment